How to justify attendance
While the procurement profession continues to struggle to do more with less, save dollars, and even find new ways to bring in revenue, we know that you will be asked to justify spending time away from the office and money to participate in NIGP's LeadersEdge. With tight budgets, you will have to find creative ways to convince your supervisor that this educational opportunity will help you find more efficient ways to do your job and stay current on issues your organization faces every day.
Things to consider to create a positive organization ROI resulting from your attendance:
- Focus on what you will bring back to your agency as return on investment (ROI)
- Emphasize that the majority of your participation will be virtually - from your desk!
- Focus on how Leaders Edge emphasizes strategic thinking and thought leadership and explain how you plan to use those new skills going forward.
- Explain that Leaders Edge counts for 19 contact hours towards UPPCC CPPO or CPPB certification or re-certification
- Have a plan ready that shows who will cover you while you are out of the office
- Offer to pay some expenses out of pocket, such as meals that are not included in the registration fee