When you have a small shop, like I do, any leave of absence is a challenge. We all have to take vacations right? This time that I will be out is not due to a vacation but for medical reasons so that adds an extra level of stress. So how do you prepare?
Here is what we've done:
- Communicate to your end users and coworkers that you will be out and how long you will be gone.
- Forecast out all procurements that can be put off until your return.
- Prepare any documents in advance that might be needed in your absence such as:
- Notices of Award (leaving the awardee, date and other changeable information highlighted and blank)
- Acceptance Agreements
- Memos to Senior staff/Boards
- Sign in sheets for bid opening ect.
- Prepare step by step instructions for anything your staff is unsure of or worried about forgetting.
- Leave detailed notes on anything that you normally do for others.
Find support channels for staff to use while you are out.... and last resort let them know when they can contact you.
Hopefully I will be able to post again soon. I am out of the office starting the 17th for up to 6 weeks... talk to you again when I can!